What's been going on...

I realized that I'm not updating the blog as much as I am posting things on my Facebook (@theadventuresofaoneleggedwoman) and I have followers out there who don't check facebook as often as some others, so I thought I'd update everyone. We've been doing more things, especially since the weather's been a little nicer. I've also started physical therapy and today we were able to go to church. Here's an update...

Sister's Visit

At the end of March my sister was able to come visit for part of her spring break. We made a few shopping trip together to spend some birthday money I received from family and friends, but mainly we hung out at home coloring and watching "Blue Bloods" (a TV show in CBS). On her last day here we drove from our home in Plymouth to the very tip of the cape, about a hour and a half drive. I had never been all the way to to end of the cape before and it was a nice day and a good drive.

Night at the Symphony (April 8th)

We were so blessed to get discounted Boston Pops tickets to celebrate David's Birthday (a little early) and to do something fun in the city. When I was in college I took a class called "Going to the Symphony". That semester I saw over 10 Boston Symphony Orchestra performances and it was one of my favorite classes and experiences when I was in college. It was so much fun to be able to share this experience with David and show him one Boston's best things to do.

What made this even more special was that the Boston Pops were playing all pieces from the composer John Williams who wrote scores to movies like Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jaws and much much more. During some of the performances they played clips of movies that coincided with the music they were playing as well as had actress Karen Allen from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark host the night. It was a joyful, fun, wonderful night.

On top of just being a fun night together we experienced a blessing and miracle from God. To some people it might not seem like a miraculous thing to find a parking spot but when you're in a wheelchair or have trouble walking finding a close parking spot is a wonderful thing. The night before we went to the performance I was looking at a map trying to figure out where the best place to park was. The closest garage was about a four minute walk and there were a few spots on the street right by the entrance that we had to use to get into Symphony Hall. I had little hope that we would actually get a spot on the street because of how busy that area is especially during a night with a performance. But David had hope and he prayed that night that God would provide a spot on the street close to the entrance. The next evening when we drove down the street I pointed to the area where there could be street parking but said "we're not going to get a spot" but as we pulled closer there it was, a spot open about 50 feet away from the entrance and 10 feet away from five guys where we are going to eat dinner. Right in the middle of where we need it to be, right where God knew we needed. Praise God for little miracles, actually I consider this a big miracle and if you live in Boston you probably do too.

Physical Therapy 

April 10th was my first physical therapy appointment. The first one was a consult and evaluation to see where I'm at. Today (April 19) was my 4th appointment. I have been doing a lot of stretching and strengthening exercises. Mostly working on stretching my left hip flexor muscle and strengthening my core. We also do arm exercises and things to help with balance. Once I actually get my leg she will be teaching me to walk and use my leg properly. A couple of exciting thing have already happened at PT in the last two weeks.

First, the physical therapist gave me a test called the AMPnoPRO test, amputee mobility predictor with no prosthetic. The score of the test determines what prosthetic you are eligible for. I scored the highest ranking, which means I will be able to get a prosthetic that allows me to be very active. I'm so excited when I think about the future and the life that may be possible, the things I will be able to do, but at the same time it is going to take a lot of work to get to that point and honestly it's a little scary.

Second exciting thing is that we found out that once I get my leg (probably around the end of May) I may be eligible to go to an inpatient rehab facility for two weeks in order to do a intensive training on my new leg. I guess you could call it a Boot Camp for Learning how to walk on your prosthetic. It would involve three hours a day of physical therapy and David and I would be staying the night at the facility similar to being in the hospital. The facility is on the Charles River in Boston and it is state of the art, with exercise equipment and a swimming pool that I could swim laps in. It's both very exciting and a little bit scary. Three hours of rehab every a day seems exhausting, but I am looking forward to leaving there stronger and being able to walk better than I ever have before. I could come back to Idaho being a pro at using my prosthetic.

Please pray for the months ahead. For strength to do well in rehab and that I will be able to get into the program at the inpatient rehab center.

Warmer Days

Just what the doctor ordered, a warm day bright sunny day. With hope of a record-breaking hot day in Boston we packed a lunch and some games and headed to Boston to have a picnic at the Commons. Boston Commons is a park in the middle of the city that on most sunny days is filled with people playing frisbee, having picnics, walking their dogs and having a good time. David had not yet been to the commons so once again it was fun to show him another part of the city that I spent time in before we were together.

I worried again that we would not build a find parking and David again had hoped that we would and yes we did find parking right on the street close to where we needed to enter the park. We actually decided to find a bench in the Public Garden side, across the street from Boston Commons. The sun was bright and hot that day and we found a bench and ate some lunch. Unfortunately, it was a little bit too hot for me, not sure if it's my medication but my body doesn't handle the heat as well as it used to. However, we made the most of it and walked around the garden and found a bench with a little bit of shade to sit and play a game. It was a record breaking heat that day, 85 degrees in April. Hopefully we can make another trip into the city once the flowers are really blooming and David can see the beautiful Boston spring. Sunny Drive

One of our favorite things to do since I have been out of the hospital recovering is take a drive somewhere. Sometimes its a short drive to Walmart to get groceries, or around the area in Plymouth that we live, just to get out of the house. We like to see the various house around the area, some of them are quite big, but mostly just like to get some fresh air and a change of scenery than just sitting on the couch. Sometimes, especially if we don't have an appointment that day, we go a little farther and explore some of the beautiful things to see here in Massachusetts.


Today (April 13th), we head down to the south of the Cape. We'd been to the tip of the cape with Jen, which is kind of a east and then north drive. On that drive you cross over the Sagamore bridge, one of the two bridge crossing over the Cape Cod Canal, and connects Cape Cod to the rest of the state. The other bridge is the Bourne Bridge, and today we set out to cross it and go from there. Sometimes we have a destination in mind, sometimes we just drive, and other than our goal to cross the Bourne Bridge we just drove and see where it took us.


Our drive ended up taking us all the way to Falmouth. Falmouth is one of the busiest little to towns in Massachusetts in the summer. Woods Hole and Falmouth Inner Harbor are two ferry ports that take vacationers to Martha's Vineyard in the summer. Close to the Wood's Hole Terminal, on the south tip of the Cape, there is a light house called Nobska Light House. The light house was built in the late 1800s and the house next to it has housed a lighthouse keeper until 1972. It is under restoration now and hopes to be opened to the public once the work has finished. For now it is a beautiful place to visit and to take pictures of the lighthouse, grounds, and the amazing views of the coastal waters.


Hotel Living


Last week (April 14-22) we lived in a hotel. Our home in Plymouth is usually rented out as a vacation rental. When I found it in December of last year, and arranged for David and I to live here until the end of May, the house was already rented for the week of spring break. We signed the lease knowing that we had to find somewhere else to live for this week. The church I attended when I lived in the Boston area prior to my move to Idaho gave us the gift of a week stay in a hotel in the area. The hotel was very nice, it was a one bedroom suite with a kitchenette and handicap accessible room and bathroom. We were so blessed to be able to stay there and it was closer to the church so we were able to go for Easter.


So that's what's been going on lately in my world. We are back in Plymouth now. Very grateful for a place to say for the last week, but very happy to be back in the house we have called "home" since January. God has done so many many miracles in the last 3 months, we are so grateful for his mercy, his protection, his love and goodness, his provisions and more. We are grateful for the love and support we have felt from friends and family from all over the world. I will try to write more often to let everyone know all that is going on during our time here and with my recovery from my amputation.